Monday 10 November 2008

The One With The Preliminary Plan

The running magazine Rona gave me back in August outlines a sixteen-week training plan for first time marathon beginners which should commence in January in the run up to the April race.

[Right, that is the last f#cking time I am ever calling this event a “race”. By any stretch of the imagination, this is not a thing in which there are any winners and losers. Just losers.]

However, Rona also sent me an eight-week “preliminary” - from the Latin “pre” meaning “before” and “liminary” meaning “being seen in public wearing lycra during daylight hours” - plan for people like me who view the mantle of “beginner” as still some way off in the distance.

The plan starts today and, in warm, comforting, Woganesque tones, it states “Easy 15-20 minute jog”. Starting as I mean to go on, I completely ignore this blarney and go and play an hour of five-a-side football instead. I’m sure something approaching a ‘jog’ was apparent during that hour but the best result is how much easier it is to breathe without coughing up a lung. There might be something to this non-smoking lark after all.

No comments: