Thursday 9 April 2009

The One In The Pool

It’s been seven days since I last ventured out for a run and although my knees feel more stable now when I walk, I’m still too scared to inflict any heavier impact upon them. So early this morning I slipped into my skimpy Speedos and headed to the local swimming pool for what can best be described as "a moistening". Because if there’s one thing I hate, it’s swimming.

Don’t get me wrong, it’s not that I can’t swim. In fact, if you ever find yourself flailing in the shallow end and you’re less than ten feet away from the side of the pool, I will not hesitate to descend the pool steps in a cautious manner taking care not to slip and crack my head open and then reach out my arms to point you in the direction of safety. Any more than ten feet, I’ll throw you a ring.

I just find swimming the most boring (and tiring) activity ever conceived. There’s the water for one thing… it gets everywhere. Luckily though, I hadn’t gone to the swimming pool today to swim; I had gone to “run”… or at the very least, “walk”, up and down the length of the pool for half an hour with a little additional “cycling” throw in for good measure. It didn’t make me feel like I’d made any inroads into all the running I’ve missed in the last week or so but doing something must be better than doing nothing, right?

Incidentally, I noticed from the updated information poster by the side of the pool that “running” and “bombing” are still very much frowned upon in the public swimming arena. However, there was no mention at all of “heavy petting” so I… um... never mind...

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

don't give up now. you've come this far! Knees are replaceable (albeit a very complex, painful process) but the feeling of completing the London Marathon, while raising thousands for a charity close to your heart, priceless.

You know you'll do it ya wee Roadrunner! Beep Beep! x