Friday 10 April 2009

The One With A Proper Sport

It’s Good Friday, it’s a beautiful calm, mild day with hazy sunshine and I’m due to be playing golf in Gullane at 9am this morning. I’ve hummed and hawed all week as to whether the combination of my twisting (but majestic) golf swing and walking five miles up and down hills will have a negative impact on my knees. But in the end I decide to wear my running tights and knee supports under my trousers and head out to the links to meet good friends Hawaii and Dave.

Three and a half hours later I’ve recorded seventeen pars and one bogey for a seemingly effortless 72. Golf is such a great game… what the f#ck am I doing trying to run a marathon?

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well played mate.
I know where my money's going in June!!

Gordy MacK

Anonymous said...

Your running a marathon because you can and it is the hardest and one of the most rewarding things you'll ever do. It doesn;t have to happen in April. Chicago is still open for another week or so to register. As much as you want to 'enjoy' the experience, you also want to be able to walk again and if that requires a wee bit of re-tooling and re-scheduling - so be it bro.

Anonymous said...

You're running this marathon to raise money for a great charity. Walk it if you can, cross the finish line, get the medal, collect the money with a clear conscience and hand it over to the charity. If you need self satisfaction from running as opposed to walking 26 miles, do another marathon in 6 months, but not for a charity, for yourself. Good luck. Hang in there. We're all rooting for you.