Saturday 21 March 2009

The One In St. Andrews

The weeks seem to be passing quite quickly now. Too quickly perhaps. Because of the length and duration of the long runs at the weekend, the ones during the week seem straightforward in comparison. Too straightforward perhaps? On Tuesday this week, my training plan said “40 minutes, brisk” and for the first time ever I actually felt I completed it at a tempo a notch or two higher than my usual pedestrian (but graceful and biomechanically efficient) pace.

But all I seem to do at the moment is work, run, eat and sleep (and not very soundly at that) and have found myself putting off seeing people until these next five weeks are complete. At which time I can continue to avoid them by rediscovering golf.

However this weekend is different because it’s Mother’s Day tomorrow so I’ve come to St. Andrews to visit my mammy. I did my long run late this afternoon which I’m hoping will mean I get a long, restful sleep tonight but I’ll need to be careful not to leave wet towels and clothes lying all over the floor in case my Mum accuses me of treating the family home like a hotel… I’d hate to have to phone down to my Dad at reception and complain about the maid’s attitude again.

Anyway, the long run was tiring but enjoyable on yet another gorgeous, cloudless day. For anyone familiar with the area, I parked my car beside the Old Course Hotel and ran all the way out to Leuchars, then back to the car to pick up some more Powerade and the most disgusting honey ‘energy gel’ ever concocted, then all the way through St. Andrews past the East Sands to the caravan park on the hill and then back to the car, some 14.5 – 15 miles in total.

Before I left home this morning I charged up my little iPod Shuffle and allowed iTunes a free reign to reload it with whatever it wanted. As usual, it selected a disproportionate number of hits from its (extensive and slightly disturbing) collection of West End musicals… how the hell did the Colonel Hathi’s March – “in da militawy style” – from The Jungle Book get in there? But my favourite iPod moment by far today was REM singing “Fall On Me”. Ages since I’ve heard this. And bring back MTV’s Unplugged.

2 comments:

Donald said...

why it was only yesterday that myself & Hamish were playing on St Andrews beach . he likes diving into the water to catch stones/seaweed etc. Saw some loonies jogging too - the sand must get everywhere.

Lesley said...

I once stayed in that caravan park. That is all.

PS. Hope you had a fudge donut from Fisher and Donaldson's afterwards