Thursday 5 March 2009

The One With The Gym Review

Last Saturday morning I went to the gym for the first time in about three weeks and when I put my magic key into the machine thingy to ‘check-in’, there were a bunch of messages from my fitness instructor Leann asking me to make an appointment with her ‘asap’. The urgency of her tone made me think at first that perhaps she’d seen me having a fly smoke round the back of the five-a-side pitches and I was now being summoned to her office so she could ask me what the hell someone like me, with all that potential, had been thinking and didn’t I know that when she inevitably had to call my parents to break the news, it would hurt her far more than it would me?

But then I remembered I haven’t had a fly smoke since January 3rd so maybe I wasn’t being reprimanded after all and instead, had picked up a monthly gym accolade… February’s Most ‘Distinctive’ Treadmill Running Style (Seniors). So I made an appointment for this evening and jogged the 2.6 miles to the leisure centre to find out.

Amazingly, it turned out to be neither of these scenarios. Although Leann explained that she just wanted to review the original exercise plan and amend if necessary, I think I detected some relief in her eyes that I was actually still alive and my three week absence was not the result of keeling over at home with an aneurism after stretching to reach the remote control.

So now I have the same exercise routine as before but with all the numbers increased slightly so that I can go faster and stronger for longer… or some such thing. Favourite iPod moment as I ran the 2.6 miles home was Neil Finn singing “She Will Have Her Way”.

No comments: