Sunday 8 March 2009

The One With The Running Guilt

Still trying to get this blog up to date... Still trying to catch up on sleep... Still the one I run to, the one that I belong to... jeez, Shania, where'd you come from?

Meantime, if you ever want to leave an encouraging comment here – “run faster fat boy”, or something - I've removed the Krypton Factor-like word verification thingy so it should now be easy to do…


It had been my tentative plan to try and do this weekend’s long run late yesterday afternoon so that I could go to bed afterwards and finally get a decent night’s sleep. But four hours in the office yesterday morning removed all motivation to do anything other than lie on the couch and eat ice cream.

This morning when I woke up, there was a blizzard blowing outside – actual snow and winds, hurricanes even – and it continued for most of the day, so to cut a not-so-very long story even shorter, I didn’t get out today to run the 140 minutes that my training plan seemed to be screaming at me all day… “Only two things come from L’lthgow BOY…

However, once the roads were clear of snow, I went to the gym for an hour late in the afternoon and found it absolutely packed with anxious people who also hadn’t made it outside for a run today. Sitting at home afterwards without the usual Sunday feelings of aching muscles, creaking bones and desperate, debilitating tiredness left me slightly guilty and uneasy that I’d gone ‘off the reservation’ as far as the training plan was concerned.

Don’t get me wrong, it wasn’t the same blind hysterical panic associated with something serious, such as a new toilet roll being put on with the flappy bit DOWN THE BACK or the milk being poured into a cup BEFORE THE TEA, but all the same, it wasn’t the most pleasant of sensations.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Without the stupid word verification thingy, it was so easy to leave this comment here. Thanks you so much Neil, I love you. Oh, and get stamps.

Soapy x

Anonymous said...

Neil.
Your blog continues to be funny and engaging while gently taking the piss out of this running lark. Vaseline is your friend. I gave up on the sore nipples and ended up buying those compression vests to run in. Worked for me. Currently in right calf agony so the lovely girl at the running store tells me I need to hydrate more, eat bananas and do more stretching. We'll see. Keep it up bro. I'm proud of you.

Cheers
Keith

Anonymous said...

I've got that Shania song on my shuffle carefully positioned for about mile 18 so I can allow myself a little cry!

Keep it up. You're doing brilliantly. Over two grand raised now so that'd be alot of people to let down if you didn't make it.

No pressure or anything.

Love Rona

Donald said...

Run well built boy, run like the wind , in the rain/sleet/snow

DC

Anonymous said...

Sounds like you're doing well. Try putting a pinch of paprika in the vaseline. Help the nipples heal quicker. Pissin in Chicago too by the way.