Sunday 15 February 2009

The One After 11 Miles

You know how they* say that cows can walk up stairs but now down again? I think it’s something to do with their burning desire for a luxury penthouse suite that makes them weak at the knees and then they get vertigo and can’t move, never mind descend. Well that was me today after running for 120 minutes this morning, 10 intervals of 12 minutes with a minute of walking/stretching between each.

I ran to the home of my good friend Donald, sturdy bass player with Falkirk rock legends The Signals who, incidentally, will be getting their rock groove on and bustin’ some moves at Behind The Wall, Melville Street, Falkirk on Friday February 27th from 9:00pm onwards as part of their triumphant 25th anniversary tour. Entry to the gig is free. Smart jeans only. No hoodies. Swooning optional.

Donald lives approximately six miles away from me and I managed to get to his house 62 minutes after setting off which meant only one thing… I was running too fast at the beginning and there was gonna be hell to pay on the way back. Sure enough, I suffered more pain in the last two sessions of 12 minutes than I did the entire 90 minutes of the 1971 League Cup Final when Celtic got humped 4-1 by Partick Thistle Nil. THAT was heartbreaking.

I think I probably ran no more than 11 miles in total today and only just managed to haul myself up the stairs a step at a time and into the shower when I got home. When I emerged all clean and sparkly however, I couldn’t get back down the stairs without sitting on my arse and bumping my way down, such was the stiffness around my knees. But no matter. It was another beautiful day to be out running and Celtic didn’t lose to Rangers in the afternoon and my favourite iPod moment was getting jiggy wid Will Smith so if only unicorns would return to Earth tomorrow sprinkling love potions and prosperity powder which meant I didn’t have to go to London on Wednesday for work, it would be the perfect week.

Until then, let me give my weekly ‘shout-out’ and sincere thanks to Moira, Sandy, Wendy, Laura, Jack, Lucy, Gordon, Nancy, Drew (sans Hardy Boys) and Lesley for their kind donations towards my fundraising efforts in the last seven days. Remember, it’s so easy to see your name on the internet… you could video yourself with a cow in a luxury penthouse suite but it’s probably simpler to go to

www.justgiving.com/neilsutherland

and help a very worthy cause.

Have a great week.

*Stephen Fry, probably…

No comments: