Tuesday 17 February 2009

The One At Dawn

Tomorrow I have to go to London for two days for work. This evening I have to go out and rehearse with The Signals. My day’s too busy to go out running at lunchtime so in order to meet the training plan’s requirement for “30 – 35 minutes, steady” I got up at 6am this morning and went out in the dark. I think it’s safe to say I won’t be doing that again.

I’d envisaged waking early, stumbling straight to the fridge, cracking a dozen eggs into a jug, downing them all in one, pulling on my little woolly Rocky hat and jogging into town to sprint up the Town Hall steps, all six of them, before turning triumphantly to face the main street, hands held high in the air as I floated like a butterfly, toe to toe. But of course it was O(h. My. God. It’s. Early.)600 in the morning and freezing cold and pitch black so I couldn’t see a hand in front of my face, never mind the far off Philly skyline.

Think I’ll try the Chariots of Fire run on the West Sands in St. Andrews next time. In the summer. After a long lie.

No comments: