Saturday 17 January 2009

The One Round The Loch

On Tuesday I was 'working from home' and had a very pleasant lunchtime run on a gorgeous sunny day. 30 minutes running in total, 25 non-stop. Favourite iPod moment: The Clash – ‘London Calling’.

On Thursday evening, I managed 40 minutes running in total with 35 non-stop. Favourite iPod moment: Feeder – ‘Just The Way I’m Feeling’. Rona once told me that when you break the '30 minute non-stop' barrier, everything's a 'piece of p#ss' thereafter, a technical training phrase I’ve yet to find replicated elsewhere in any other running publication. Well see.

The ‘long’ run on the plan for this weekend says ’75 mins jog/run’ but because there’s a storm due to arrive tonight or tomorrow, I decided to run in the sun this morning instead.

The town where I live has its own palace sitting atop a little raised hill (as opposed to a sunken hill) beside a picturesque loch where fairies often flutter low above the sun-kissed water and elves skip among the toadstools.

It’s 2.3 miles around the loch with another two or so to get there and back so as I head off, I wonder whether I can run for an hour non-stop.

The path around the loch isn’t great in places and I have to work hard not to get my lovely white shoes all covered in mud but I make it round and head home, all the time thinking, “that must be close to an hour, surely?” When I arrive home, my watch has a little sneer and tells me that I’ve only done 55 in total, 50 non-stop so I punch it in the face and head out again.

“That must be another 10 minutes, surely?” Watch says 5.
“That must be 15 by now, surely?” Watch says 8.
“That must be 15 NOW?” Watch says 10.

By this time I’m approaching the house again and am more than ready to chuck it for the day which is when ‘Fanfare For Rocky’ comes gushing out of my wee iPod Shuffle and I run straight past the house and keep going for another five minutes. Feeling strong now.

No comments: