Wednesday 21 January 2009

The One That Was Four Miles From Threemiletown

I had a day off work today and what a gorgeous sunny day it turned out to be. Actually, that’s been quite a consistent pattern since the turn of the year with very few of the normal Scottish January days where everything, including the grass in my garden, is grey. And hardly any rain. (Cue February blizzards.)

Following a light breakfast consisting of a cup of tea and an ‘everything’ bagel with cream cheese (low fat) and pastrami, I did a few (three) sit-ups in the living room and then went back to bed for a bit (an hour). It was bliss.

Up until now I’ve been running different combinations of the same streets near my home but when my best pal paid a lunchtime visit I decided it was time to try a new route. We drove east out of town and I got dropped off after exactly four miles, right beside the sign for Threemiletown, a sprawling conurbation of two cottages, a tractor and a shifty-looking black and white collie.

Knowing exactly how far I was about to run was a new experience, made all the more enjoyable by the gorgeous weather. It was also the first time I’d run a ‘straight’ route, starting and finishing in different places, much more akin to what will happen on the big day. Might do more of that in the future. For now, today’s favourite iPod Shuffle moment was Stevie Wonder – “Isn’t She Lovely”.

No comments: