Monday 19 January 2009

The One With The Blog Excuses

If you’re visiting here for the first time, perhaps because I sent you an annoying email last week demanding that you sponsor me for the 2009 Flora London Marathon, then hello and welcome. It’s been a week since I started this blog, which means it’s been a week since I made the sincere promise that by the time today came around, all would be up to date and you’d have the full, horrid picture of just how p#sh my marathon training was going last year up to Christmas.

To be honest, I had all the backlog of “posts” typed up on my old typewriter (not quite sure what Bling-Bling, my Thai houseboy, does then to put them on the interweb, “scan” them perhaps?) but they’ve disappeared because it’s a been a bit stormy here recently and a freak gale blew the back door open last Thursday and a racoon ran in and grabbed them for nest-lining or dam-building or bedtime-reading or whatever the hell it is that racoons do of an evening.

So as you can see – if you scroll down to the very bottom and work your way up slowly – there are some posts that have TITLES ONLY and have NOT YET BEEN FINISHED. I emphasise this because I received some earnest feedback in the pub on Friday night from my good friend Dave in a conversation that went something like…

Neil: “Hi Dave, happy new year mate. What can I get you to drink?”
Dave: “Um.. gettus a Bottle of Miller, will ya dude?”
Neil: “Yeah, no problem. Oh, and listen… thanks very much for your generous sponsorship which you no doubt donated quickly and easily when you logged on to www.justgiving.com/neilsutherland on Wednesday. It’s very much appreciated.”
Dave: “You’re very welcome dude. And yes, it was very quick and easy once I’d logged on to www.justgiving.com/neilsutherland; couple of clicks and I was done and you know… it left me with a warm spiritual glow inside, having helped my fellow dude.”
Neil: “Yes Dave, that’s so true. Giving is so much more gratifying than receiving, as you know only too well.”
Dave: “Aye.. anyway.. I’m also enjoying the new blog but I think it’s broken dude.”
Neil: “Broken?”
Dave: “Yeah, I read the first bit – skippin' aw the big words of course - and then I scrolled down a bit and read some more, but I couldnae get into some of the others. I was clicking and clicking and clicking but they widnae expand and display any of the text.
Neil: “No Dave, that’s because they’re only titles; I havenae written or posted them yet.”
Dave: “Posted? Like wi’ an envelope and a stamp in a post-box?”
Neil: “Sure. Bling-Bling scans them and then goes down to the post office to send them to the interweb.”
Dave: “Cool, that’s awesome dude. Now whaurs ma Miller?”

So apologies once again. I hope to get up to date with all the posts by the end of next weekend but meantime, let me start a new weekly ritual by saying a very big thank you to all who sponsored me in the last seven days… Keithy, Poochie, Mum & Dad, Ewen & Donna, Helen, Lindsay, David D and Dan & Alexa… your donations will help enormously and are very much appreciated.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

excuses...excuses